Durham are offering free online courses to parent’s and carers living in County Durham. It is the perfect opportunity for education settings to support their communities and children within the setting. The courses will help you to recognise your own emotions, your child’s emotions and see how they can impact on behaviour. Seeing your child’s behaviour from their point of view can help you to increase your confidence as a parent. Building a closer relationship with your baby or child can lead to a calmer and happier home life.
What is the Solihull Approach?
A theoretical model integrating psychodynamic, child development and learning theory. It has a track record of providing highly acclaimed training courses to over 25,000 professionals in over 80 areas of the UK and further afield, within Health, Education and Social care. The Solihull Approach is included in the UK Department of Health’s Healthy Child Programme, in Northern Ireland’s strategy for training health visitors and midwives and in Scotland’s strategy for training health visitors and child practitioners.
What is available?
The following online courses for parent’s and carers are available to access:
- Award winning online course for parents ‘Understanding Your Child’ 0-19 years (main course)
- Understanding your child with additional needs
- Understanding your child’s feelings
- Understanding your teenagers brain (short course)
- Understanding your brain (for teenagers only!)
- Online antenatal course: ‘Understanding Pregnancy, Birth & Your Baby
- Online postnatal course: ‘Understanding your baby’
Benefits for children?
- Calmer parents, happier households
- Less conflict, more closeness
- Attuned sensitive care, more empathy by adults around them
- Tailored boundaries which take into consideration individual needs
- Develop ability to articulate, share and ultimately manage own emotions
- Resilience against mental health problems
- Emotional intelligence
How does it work?
- Learners enter the web page via the address www.durham.gov.uk/solihull
- They create an account and complete a registration page relevant to our area
- Once parents have created an account they enter select the course they wish to access
- To resume a course sign in to your account and resume where you left off
- Access is non-expiry (lifetime!)